Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Misc. Mutterings from around Michigan

I'm still catching up on sleep and rest from my trip to NY, but here's a couple things going through my head.

Snuffing it out: Applause for Sen. Ray Basham and Rep. Brenda Clack on banning smoking inside restaurants and bars. If you want to smoke that's fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us need to inhale your pollutants. This issue rings especially true for me this week as my lungs recover from the smoke and smog that covered New York City. Smoking in restaurants and bars is banned in New York, just as it is in Ontario, and I think it's great. Please contact your representative and senator to voice your support for this public health issue.

From the mailbag: A leader of the Young Americans for Freedom, the right-wing student group who's MSU chapter was deemed the very first university-sponsored hate group, has come out of the closet as a gay man. Todd Heywood at PrideSource has the full skinny.
WASHINGTON, D.C. - An 18-year-old leader of Young Americans for Freedom and a conservative campaign operative is coming out of the closet.

Tyler Whitney, the immediate past chair of Western Michigan University YAF, the chair of the Michigan Teenage Republicans, or TARs, and the current webmaster for the Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colorado) for President website, has been telling other conservative activists for about a month of his coming out journey.

Wow, talk about rocking the boat. Tancredo's one of the nuttiest Republicans out there, and I wonder how he's really taking the news?

Reaction: Apparently my guest-post at Republic of M has gotten some fantastic response both here in Michigan and across the country. For those of you who didn't catch it, upon request from a good friend and fellow blogger at Republic of M, Gay Michigan, I wrote a post titled The Importance of being an Ally, an explanation of my personal decision to be ally to the LGBT community. It's not rocket science, just common sense and good will.

Current Events: Tonight I'll be speaking along with one of my blogmates, Marcy Wheeler, in Pittsfield Township down in Washtenaw County on Democratic politics and blogging.

Up and coming in Michigan: Staying true to my duties as Cruise Director, I announced Unplugged: The MichLib Family Picnic here in Lansing on Sunday June 24th. It's open to bloggers, readers/commenters/lurkers, and supporters of the MichLib community, which goes for those of you here at LLP. It'd be lovely to meet you, and I hope you'll consider coming out for a good time, great food, and wonderful friends.

Waiting on a Tally: I'm still waiting on a fundraising count from the Get Your Guts in Gear office, but apparently quite a few folks sent in (or are still sending in) last minute donations. Don't stop, keep sending! I'll keep you posted on the final tally.

Here's to a fantastic day to you and yours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As you and I have discussed LL, its all just a matter of time before more (if not all) YAF's come out of the closet.

farleftfield said...

always late!! way to go on the ride!! ggod job, I finally got around to donating! LL you really do inspire people, keep it up!