Saturday, June 09, 2007

Allergic to New York (literally)

Yes, after only 40-odd miles yesterday, it turns out I'm allergic to New York. I went into a full-blown asthma attack and had to be taken to the nearest hospital. After a breathing treatment, a short course of steroids, and an inhaler, I was informed that I wasn't allowed to ride and to be properly checked out when I returned to Michigan. As bummed as I was, I still had it better than my fellow rider who got hit by a deer while riding. and had a serious case of road rash that required stiches and a sling.

I was informed that I would now be crewing since I couldn't ride. I was very upset that I had come all this way, raised all this money, and couldn't do the one thing I came to do. As soon as I started feeling sorry for myself, I realized that I was still alive and healthy enough to even be here, and that was a feat in itself.

It's so important not too overlook the little miracles in life, such as surviving a terrible journey with Crohn's Disease.

6 comments:

Nirmal said...

awww. hope you feel better!

BZP said...

Hang in there. Ya done good.

Anonymous said...

:( I'm sorry you had an asthma attack. I'm glad you're ok.

The summers in the east can be brutal on people with breathing problems. We've had an especially hot spring, and the air quality now is about the same as it would be in early July. It was miserably hazy when I was flying into Baltimore a few weeks ago.

Tell them to have a bike ride in upper michigan! The cleanest air I've ever experienced has been there. Deers might be a big problem though.

Anonymous said...

Hey -- I just found your blog. I'm a first-timer doing the Seattle ride in August and want to shout out some encouragement to you as you do battle with The Evil Weeds. Here in Portland its the [expletive deleted] tree pollen in early march that makes me reach for my inhaler, so I understand. Hope your NY experience isn't totally snuffly. Please feel free to visit my blog when you get home. Cheers --Beth (Seattle # S-15)

Richard Hellinga said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know it's frustrating for you. But you're there for a great cause.

Unknown said...

Thats the spirit!!!

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say great job!