Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Running of the Cheese, yes, you heard me right

File Under: Humorous things from across The Pond and Cheese
What's this, you ask?

That would be the Cheese Rolling 2007 Event, from Gloucestershire, England.

I kid you not.

This tip received by a friend who fills a void in my life by passing along stories that either
A) make me laugh or
B) have to do with Cheese.

You see, I have a small addiction to cheese. Most any flavor from around the world (strangely minus Swiss, I prefer their chocolate to their cheese) not only makes me sigh with happiness but also seems to set off a Pavlov's Dog-type of reaction. I see cheese, and I desire it. It's quite sad really, but I look at it as helping to keep the cheesemakers of the world employed.

But back to the Cheese Rolling - it happens every year, as it has for hundreds of years. Competitors chase after 7-8lbs wheel of Gloucestershire cheese down a steep hill. First one to the finish line wins, period.

To see how truly outrageous this event really is, be sure to check out the video from our friends at the BBC, and be prepared to gape, guffaw, and laugh your way through it. Then stop by the BBC page (you'll have to scroll down a bit) and check out all three videos.

It's a jolly good thing those chaps have universal health care!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being from Gloucester, I have actually seen this. It truly is as silly and dangerous as it looks. By the way - you do realise the only prize is the very cheese that was chased?

Anyway, I once wrote a small article on this on the BBC's H2G2 - Gloucester, Coopers Hill Cheese Rolling.

It is clearly a tradition inspired by His Great Noodliness...