Thursday, May 17, 2007

That's my state senator!

A lot of people think politics are more boring than watching paint dry. I would have to disagree, at least here in Lansing.

I got a chance to sit in on yesterday's Senate debate on the proposed Republican plan to slash K-12 funding. (Hazen Pingree's got the scoop over on MichLib)

There's definitely something to be said about being in the Majority. I'm sure we wouldn't have to deal with half the crap we have if the Democrats were in control of the state Senate. Today's debate about a $36 per pupil cut was like watching a bad car wreck. It was so terrible, you just couldn't peel your eyes away.

I wanted to stand up and clap after my state senator, Gretchen Whitmer took the floor. Here's her statement -
You know, when people talk about the Capitol and they say Lansing is out of touch, I’ve always taken great umbrage with that statement because, well, this is my great city that it’s my pleasure to represent. It’s a city of progressive people and it’s a beautiful city. It’s you people who are giving my city a bad name because it’s you who is out of touch.

A “yes” vote on this bill is a vote for our schools. Seriously? If you want to vote “yes” for our schools, you vote not to cut them. You vote to pay for our schools to live up to the promise which we made to every schoolchild in this state.

This is still a $36 per pupil cut. Money that ya’ll patted one another on the back last fall and said, “Oh, we’ve got a great deal for our schools.” Now you’re taking that back. You say in negotiations the Democrats have reneged. You are reneging to the students of this state by passing this bill.

I saw everyone in this chamber stand up and give Governor Granholm a standing ovation at the State of the State when she said we must not cut our schools. Here we are today, for a second time, you’re offering up to cut our schools. The only reason we’re doing this is because of your inaction. Putting forward a bill you know is unacceptable just says you’re going to continue to put politics over education in our state.

Make no mistake. By voting “yes” on this bill, you are voting to cut our schools.

Thank you Sen. Whitmer, for standing up for me, my city, and my state.

p.s. To see one highlight from last night's Senate train wreck, check out We're not in Cadillac anymore, Toto! on MichLib and see what Sen. Michelle McManus is doing to further the advancement of women in politics *snark*.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Whitmer sure sounds great! Too bad I'm stuck with Bill Hardiman here in Kentwood. Oh well, it is a toss-up district, so maybe in 2010...