Thursday, July 26, 2007

Humor: The Best Medicine

Living in the middle of Politics Central, Michigan, I know that there are days when we could all use a little more humor in our lives. I think too many folks here in Lansing take themselves too seriously, and that it's a trait not necessarily reserved just to those in government and politics.

Why does humor exist but to help us through this crazy thing called Life?

Wouldn't life be a little more tolerable if we all laughed a little more?

As a blogger, one of my more notable trademarks is my use of snark, or witty sarcastic humor. I find that the more frustrating moments of politics are usually best dealt with through snarkiness. I like to think of it as a healthy, humorous outlet for my frustration, and much physically safer than banging my head against a wall or shouting at the computer/TV/newspaper.

There's also plenty of well-documented health benefits to humor. For instance:

  • reduce stress
  • lower blood pressure
  • elevate mood
  • boost immune system
  • improve brain functioning
  • protect the heart
  • connect you to others
  • foster instant relaxation
  • make you feel good.
and this is just to name a few from this fantastic resource.

If it's humor sources you're looking for, here's a good list to start with.
  • Michigan native, nationally-known comedian, and my former neighbor, John Heffron
  • One of the funniest TV shows on two continents - The Office, and check out the dry British version
  • Michigan funny lady and long time snarky blogger - Jamelah
  • Two of my most favorite recent blog posts deserving high snark awards at Honest Errors and WizardKitten.
So do yourself, your friends, your co-workers, and your body a favor - laugh a little more and enjoy yourself, life's too short!

2 comments:

Scott said...

Here's more humor ;-)

Richard Hellinga said...

LL, thanks for the shout-out!