Monday, July 02, 2007

Guest Post by Mike at Republic of M

A very humble thanks to Mike for his guest post and his accolades. If you haven't already made Republic of M part of your daily read, now's the time to fix that. Without further adieu...

If I was straight I would date Julielyn

A guest post by Mike at Republic of M

I am very much honored to have been asked to do this by uber blogger, and my friend, aka the www goddess, Liberal Lucy. Everyone should bow at this point. I know, I know, she hates accolades, but she so deserves it.

I hate to dwell, well not really, I actually thrive on it, but my boy friend always brings me to task on it, so I try not to. But I still can't help but go back to her guest post at Republic of M. If you didn't read it – then where the hell have you been? Well the link is above, so go read it, but make sure your ass comes back to read what I have to say. If you decide otherwise, then let me recap. Liberal Lucy: Allies of LGBTQ are very important. Our best friends are not only the ones who tell us that they stand beside us, but tell the world.

So, having said that, my partner and I attended the First Annual Michigan Blogger Picnic. We were both extremely apprehensive. He and I both were a little cautious because we didn't really know what to expect, or how we would be received. But everyone was extremely nice. We could not have anticipated a warmer welcome.

You might be thinking: Mike, why would you and your partner ever think that we, progressive thinking people would ever act in such a way?

Well progressive thinking people – some of your kind, or at least some who proclaim to be such, have let me and my people down. We support them with not only our donations, but our votes, only to see on one of the many cable news networks that we don't matter. You allow the opposing side to set the stage, with your LGBT allies the pie that's thrown in the progressive face. You allow them to set the tone of discussion, making us the bad guys, making us the issue. We both know there are far bigger issues. Issues that even their base put at the fore front, yet we always seem to be that punching bag in the religious right fitness center. We never seem to waver from you, yet we are the first "dead weight" to be cast over board when the religious right starts swinging. I know, I know, it sounds like a bad Sylvester Stallone Movie.

I realize that not all progressives are like this. And thank GOD, they aren't. And thank GOD for people like Liberal Lucy, and the rest of the Michigan Liberal crew.

Yes, a forward thinking progressive person would think that way. But many, who proclaim to be so, really are not. Its one of the problems we here in the LGBTQ community face all the time. People who say they are our friends and allies, yet when it comes down to standing their ground in our defense, run with their tail between their legs.

Liberal Lucy reminded me of how important allies are. And how she and the others from Michigan Liberal are not those back room friends. They are the best resource the LGBTQ community has. And I thank GOD, every day, for a friend like her, and the allies at Michigan Liberal.

No comments: