Sunday, January 28, 2007

Northern Reflections from Home

I made it. There and back. In this weather, well, at times it was nothing short of a small feat.

Arrived back to Lansing this evening, glad to be home, but sorry the trip was at an end.

While I was there I managed to add a new word to my vocabulary - DownState.

I'm assuming it refers to anywhere below Clare/Mt. Pleasant and/or the 45th Parallel, which I crossed, by the way. I'm told that the folks up there use it like we say Up North. Hmmm, seems fair I suppose. :-)

While I was bit worried about how the LucyMobile would do, I'm pleased to report that all's well, and with the exception of my window washer level being quite low, she did fine.

Several roads gave me a couple scares here and there, and I'm convinced that on a select few, there's locals who sit and laugh as us DownState folks are put thru a vigorous cardiac workout. There were some hills that are so high and so steep, that I would consider them exhilarating even without being completely snow-covered. I discovered that some stop signs are really only able to be followed when there is not snow on the ground. Best you can do is honk and let 'em know you're coming. :-)

Tonight as I gaze out my window at a beautifully-lit Capitol Dome, I know I'll miss the sheer beauty and tranquility of the North. How lucky are we to live in a state where you can go from the icy shore to the bustling city in just a few short hours?

No matter where on the Mitten we call ours, we are all blessed to call Michigan home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goddamn, you're just so damn... chipper! Clearly, you've never had to push a Ford Tarus stuck in the snowbank all that often.

Also, the Up North / Downstate border is US-10. I'm surprised you missed passport control.

Bob