Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Just as it Belongs


The Frozen Winterland
Originally uploaded by LiberalLucy.
Today I take time to celebrate and rejoice in the beautiful Michigan winter that lies outside of my humble abode this morning.

For far too long I have heard the grumbles and complaints of Michigan residents and visitors alike regarding the winter weather. Everything from how much they hate the snow and cold to how certain people seem to lose their ability to operate a vehicle when the white stuff starts to fly. For many, winter seems like the season to complain.

I'd like to offer my minority opinion to the chorus of voices.

I love Michigan winter!

In fact, my favorite days of the entire year are the ones where you find yourself short of breath as you step outside simply because it's so cold. It might sound odd, maybe even a little crazy, but Michigan just isn't Michigan without snow, skating on the pond, snow boots, ice scrapers for your car, remembering not to leave any cans or bottles of pop in your car overnight, and everyone's morning hero, the snow plow.

These past few months have been strangely disconcerting for me. Temperatures in the 50's and 60's, I don't know whether to blame El Nino, global warming or both. Either way, it's not been the same.

As the thermometer dipped last week and the flurries began to descend, I literally breathed a sigh of relief. Snow in Michigan means we're okay. Just like Spartan football isn't the same without the falling leaves, a July afternoon belongs paired with a cool glass of lemonade and sunblock, and the morning frost is a pleasant sight in March and April, living in Michigan means going through each of the four seasons, in all their glory.

There's something right about donning the winter gear and bracing for the cold as you step outside. Today as I grab my shovel and heave the heavy snow off of the sidewalk, you can be sure that a smile will be present on my face and in my heart, because I know I've got my winter back, here in Michigan, exactly where it belongs.

1 comment:

BZP said...

I love Michigan, but I'm no fan of cold weather. That said, I did miss the snow this winter. Michigan without snow is basically Ohio, and that's not a good thing.

What I miss, more than anything, is the sun. It can be sub-zero with a foot of snow out for all I care, but a sunny day always trumps a cloudy one, in my book.