Friday, March 23, 2007

A Promise to Michigan

Dear Michigan -

Born in one of your hospitals, educated in your schools, I've swam in your lakes, played on your grassy lands and sand dunes, vacationed at your most majestic spots, and eaten your tasty morsels. When others fled for the lights and glamor of Chicago, California, and New York, and D.C., I plunked down my feet here, because you have always been there to support me, my family, and my friends.

Now you're facing one of your greatest threats, the very men and women who have been elected and sworn to protect and uphold you through your own government. They want to cut you into shreds, by destroying your schools, your parks, your children, your health care system, and most of all, the poor, the ones who have no one to fight for them other than you.

These Republicans say they do it help you, but we all feel your pain as you silently weep. Your tears are for the little ones who's schools will suffer, the children of your blue collar workers who no longer will be able to afford a college education, for the crime victims who lay in anguish when there are no available emergency personnel, and for the indigent who will suffer when their healthcare is gone. You weep, and I weep with you.

I will wipe away my tears and I will rise up to fight for you. Fight for all that makes you so great, and for everything about you that I hold so dear. Michigan, my Michigan, that is my promise to you.

1 comment:

CEW said...

Amen.

Calling on the Great Spirit of Michigan...

http://ourmichigan.blogspot.com/2007/
03/calling-on-great-spirit-of-michigan.html