Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Going Couch Surfing

*Updated* (see below)

There's a new phenomena in travel and it's name is Couch Surfing, I kid you not.

You've probably guessed, but I work in the wonderful world of politics, and while I'm lucky to love how I eek out a living, some days a girl just needs to get away from it all.

I decided that a long weekend away from politics, the Internet, blogs, yes, even computers was just what the doctor ordered, so I decided to escape to coastal New England. I'm looking forward to the chilly weather, beautiful shore lines, lobster bakes, breath-taking national parks, lots of time by myself, a real escape from my normal everyday life.

I also love experiencing different cultures, history, and landscapes, while it isn't half a world away, New England is pretty different from our Great Lakes state.

No one ever got rich serving others, and I'm no exception. So when I travel, I have to do it on the frugal side. Anyone who's ever traveled knows that your accommodations can often be the most expensive part of the trip. Thankfully, CouchSurfing takes the cost out of traveling and puts a capital 'E' on Experience.

So what is this mysterious CouchSurfing? Well first, you should know why it exists -
"CouchSurfing seeks to internationally network people and places, create educational exchanges, raise collective consciousness, spread tolerance, and facilitate cultural understanding."

CouchSurfing was created specifically so that everyone can travel the world and partake in cultural exchange. Staying with your host(s) is also always free; it is contrary to the values of CouchSurfing and against our terms of use to charge someone to surf your couch. Many surfers like to bring their hosts gifts or treat them to a meal as a "Thank you," but this is not a requirement. There are infinite ways to reciprocate goodwill.

So there you go. Fun, exciting travel can be done on a budget. I've picked my hosts, they've agreed to host me, and away I'll go, nary a computer or politico in sight. Just me, my camera, my jacket, and a small suitcase. When I return, I promise I'll bring back a picture of me with a lobster, before and after it's been cooked. Mmmm!!!

Update: It's been suggested that I (sheepishly) mention that you can support LiberalLucy's Travel-on-a-Dime fund by supporting this blog. :-) It's not necessary, but very much appreciated. Any supporters between now and the end of the month will receive a postcard from my trip. :-)

Thank you!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Interesting concept, although aren't you a little bit nervous about running into a kook - or worse? Chalk my doubts up to my age and too many nights watching CSI shows!

I'll be curious to hear how your adventure turns out. Bon voyage!