Friday, October 05, 2007

Making the Good News

If you've been to MichLib much lately, you know I've had some serious concerns with the state of the media here in Lansing. While I don't have much to say about the Lansing State Journal as a paper, there are several fine individuals (unfortunately not in managerial roles) who are part of the LSJ team.

Let me also say this, while I have concerns about the media industry as a whole, I generally have a whole lot of respect for most of the journalists that I've come to know, both at the LSJ and particularly within the Capitol Press Corps. That's not an easy industry to work in, and it's clear that only the finest raise to the top.

That being said, I'd like to thank one journalist in particular. It's very easy to only focus on the negative, to report all the bad news, and goodness knows I do a good job of it on my own as a blogger. But when it's something other than the negative, boy is it refreshing to see.

Derek Wallbank writes the Capitol Journal blog for the LSJ. On Wednesday, Wallbank asked for some good news from his readers out of the Capitol to report. Seems as if I was the only one to respond (not sure if that's bad or good) and I offered thanks to the House who passed Rep. Andy Meisner's Restroom Access Bill. The bill would allow people like me who suffer from digestive diseases to have access, by way of a prescription, to those bathrooms in retail establishments normally reserved for employees only. There are measures built in for the security of both the business and the customer, and most everyone was on board with it.

Because I was the only one to respond, Wallbank was kind enough to make it the subject of his post. Obviously I'm pleased as punch that my email was featured, but I hope that he will consider making this Good News piece part of his regular bit, goodness know we could all use it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are you? How are you doing? Come back!