Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Ability to Inspire

Every so often, I am fortunate enough to take part in a conversation that is so much more than just that - it's a stirring of emotion and memories, fuel to my inspirational fire, and a provocation to the very essence of who I am. It's a conversation so consuming, that I revel in the deliciousness of it.

Often, these conversations are completely unexpected and spring from the most unlikely of sources. It is this that provides the journey from which I collect the pieces of life to build not only who I am, but the direction in which I steer and how I proceed.

Today was one such occasion.

One of the most extraordinary points that I took away from it redefined my concept of teachers and teaching. Growing up the daughter and granddaughter of teachers, my previous concepts were pretty firmly cemented in my mind.

I had previously thought that teaching was about learning. What I realized today was that it's really about awakening a drive within.

I believe that within each of us lay infinite possibilities for who we will become and what we can do. As a community, I believe that we continually need to strive to awaken more within each of us. Think back to some of the most inspirational moments and people of your life. What was it about that moment or person that forever changed you?

While you're savoring that thought, imagine if you could pass along that moment of inspiration onto two other people, and they passed it on to two more, and so on. Imagine the possibilities to inspire your family, your friends, you community, your world. Imagine awakening a drive, a passion within someone and in that instance, becoming that mechanism for a positive change. What better a reward in life, than knowing you created change, simply by inspiring another.

I've never thought of myself as a teacher, that is, until today. Today's conversation with a wise soul taught me that we are all teachers, all with the ability to inspire and influence. The choice for each and everyone of us is whether or not we become that source to awaken a drive, a passion and literally change our world.

(Photo by 2wo from the Absolute Michigan photo pool)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post. I think you are dead on. We can all be teachers, even if it's via our blogs. Maybe we can inspire not only political change but social change creating a much better world for us all. I promise to do my part :)

Ryan Hersha said...

I enjoyed your post, too. :) And thanks for helping out the PAO this week, TEACHER!