Sunday, October 19, 2008

My governor could kick your governor's butt...

I'm a huge fan of Jennifer M. Granholm. I think she's an incredible role model for women like me who are political, and unlike certain other female governors *cough* Sarah Palin, *cough, cough,* she's smart, savvy, charismatic, and could trample you in a debate with a smile. That's not to mention how fabulous she looks. The woman's a complete package.

That being said, I've decided it's official - my governor could kick your governor's butt.

Today was the Detroit Free Press' 31st annual marathon. From one of their many stories on the event -
Starting anonymously with the 7,266 half marathoners was Gov. Jennifer Granholm, a rookie who ran with husband Dan Mulhern. She didn’t wear one of the shoelace tags that electronically records the start and finish time for each runner, but with a single security officer running alongside Granholm finished in 1:56:04, achieving her goal of breaking the two hour mark in her first long race (the same time as her husband, who did wear an electronic tag and waited to cross the lined with her after running a couple of minutes ahead during most of the event).

“I kept it real low-key because I was afraid I wouldn’t make it,” said Granholm, who wore blue running shorts, a black Barack Obama T-shirt and pearl earrings. “I didn’t want anyone to know I was here until I finished. It was a grueling experience, but because you’re out there with so many other people, and you’ve got the crowds cheering you on and clanging cowbells, it seems a lot shorter, like a 6-mile run.”
The Freep's sports editor had an entire blog post devoted to the subject and here's a great photo of the Lady Gov as she celebrates with First Gentleman Dan Mulhern.

Like I said - my governor could kick your governor's butt. Gosh knows she already took care of that pesky woman from Wasilla in Joe Biden's debate prep!

1 comment:

Colette Seguin Beighley said...

Gov. Granholm is always amazing and delighting us!

I choked during the last debate when McCain called Palin a "role model." As for a role model for my 17-year-old daughter Chloe, Granholm's the one I hope she sets her sites on emulating!