Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Change and Ethics in Blogging

I'm blessed with a great job where I can give back to many of the issues that I feel strongly about, but it's caused a quandary when it comes to blogging.

There's a lot to be said for the need in ethics and integrity in politics and blogging. I've always prided myself on trying to maintain high standards of each and I credit that goal with my success as a political blogger.

I got involved in politics and blogging because most of my life has been spent fighting a chronic illness that has brought many policy issues to life. My illness has shaped not only who I am, but also my professional life.

I'm going to keep blogging about the issues that I feel strongly about here when it's appropriate, and that I'm going to always disclose my work affiliation if it's needed in addition to the permanent disclaimer at the bottom of this blog.

My work on some of the other blogs has been and will be more limited in part because of my career, part by personal reasons. This blogging thing is in my blood, it's a part of who I am, and no matter what I do, what I experience, I feel that Liberal Lucy will always there.

Since entering the world of Internet activism (circa 2001, which makes me practically ancient) so much has changed. It's been absolutely amazing to chronicle how the Internet has changed the face of politics by so many.

Here in Michigan, there's definitely been a blog boom, and our state, our political process has been all the more richer for it. I'm proud to be a small part of it, but even prouder to have had a role in introducing the political internet to so many. That "Aha! Moment" as I call it, when someone discovers this whole new world literally laying at their fingertips. A vehicle for their voice, a medium for a wanted message, a community of their own. It still gives me goosebumps.

For now, I feel as if I'm still supposed to be a part of that constant change, and I'm going to continue to do so. I'm human like the rest of us, and sometimes change can be difficult to accept, but like most things, we usually end up richer for it in the end. A fellow blogger and friend reminded me recently on her own blog that some of the hardest things to go through can end up being some of the best for each of us.

So there's been a lot of change, and there will surely be more to come. This electronic evolution is far from over, and the same goes for my role in it all, no matter the path.

No comments: